~ July 2019 ~
16 day Intensive 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
~ Let yourself be nourished and inspired. Rise to the challenge.
Become a Yoga Teacher & Spread the Healing of Yoga ~
~ Dates ~
July 13th – July 28th 2019
~ Unique Benefits ~
- We provide you with an immersive, intensive Yoga Teacher Training experience at the beautiful Cara Creek Eco Lodge
- Every aspect of your training ~ incorporates some portion of the curriculum.
- We exceed the 180 contact hours required by Yoga Alliance because we’re committed to your success as a Yoga Teacher.
- Our class sizes range from 6 to 24 students, which means our student to teacher ratio of is MAXIMUM 8 to 1 ~ never more.
- You will begin practicing teaching within the first days of Teacher Training, so that by the end of the Course you will feel confident in guiding a class.
- Our trainings use a Written Evaluation as well as a Practicum Class, so that you will know where your strengths lie and where you can focus on development.
- The 3 Yoga Teachers are available to answer your questions and address any concerns, throughout your program
- You will receive discounts of 10% on yoga retreats, and future trainings organised by Off Grid Yoga School — including the retreats that will be held right before and right after the teacher training
~ Summary of Course Content ~
- Yoga Philosophy
- Teaching Methodology
- Anatomy and Functional Movement
- Teaching Practice
- Personal Development
- Personal Practice
- Final assessments
- Upon completion of all elements of the training, the pre-training assignments and successfully passing the written exam and teaching practicums, students will graduate with a Teaching Certificate for 200 Hour and can register as a RYT200 with Yoga Alliance®
~ What’s Included ~
- Program tuition
- Program manuals, a journal, and a tote bag
- Accommodations (price varied based on this) and 3 vegetarian meals per day, tea and coffee available throughout the day. Option to add meat at lunch and dinner for small cost.
- Use of the beautiful facilities Cara Creek Eco Lodge has to offer including a natural swimming pool, wood fired hot tub, nature walks, outdoor gym, and use of paddle boards and mountain bicycles during free time.
~ Training Team ~
This 200 hour program will be co-led by Ashley Murray and by Juan Villegas from AnyBody Movement.
Each of them have unique backgrounds and insight to offer to students, and will be available at any time throughout the program to answer questions, concerns and provide support.
Follow photo links to read more about each of the training leaders.
~ Daily Schedule for 16 day Intensive Training ~
- DAY 1 (July 13th) ~ All Students to arrive from 1pm to no later than 4pm for check-in. We will begin the curriculum that day with a warm welcome and orientation beginning at 5:15pm, dinner at 6:30pm, and a yoga class from 7:30-9pm.
- DAY 2 – DAY 15 ~
- 6:15am – 7:45am ~ sunrise yoga and meditation practice
- 7:45am – 8:30am ~ mindful (silent) breakfast
- 8:30am – 10:30am ~ in class
- 10:30am – 10:45am ~ break
- 10:45am – 12:30pm ~ in class
- 12:30pm – 2:15pm ~ lunch and afternoon break
- 2:15pm – 4:15pm ~ in class
- 4:15pm – 4:30pm ~ break
- 4:30pm – 6:30pm ~ in class
- 6:30pm – 7:45pm ~ dinner and evening break
- 7:45pm – 9pm ~ in class
- Notes about schedule:
- on day 6, Practicum dates and times will be issued
- day 9 – evening off (after dinner)
- day 10 – morning off (class resumes after breakfast ~ breakfast served at scheduled time)
- day 7 and day 14 – mindful meals ~ all meals will be in silence
- day 15 – final written exam after breakfast ~ 75 minutes, followed by a full day of class and Graduation Celebration in evening
- day 16 – Farewell Yoga Class, breakfast, and farewell
~ Admission Requirements ~
To be considered for our 200 Yoga Teacher Training program, you must comply with the following admission requirements:
- 18 years of age or older (we welcome students past 18 years old of ALL ages)
- have reviewed program details thoroughly
- have completed the online, admission registration
- have an English level that allows for reading, writing and speaking to a level of full comprehension
- must not have a severe medical condition that will preclude a student from participating (persons who have a medical condition that does not interfere with their safety and their participation will always be considered for trainings)
- have some basic, prior experience with Yoga
- be able to refrain from drug and alcohol use during the program
~ Location ~
This 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training is being held at Cara Creek Eco Lodge in Central Portugal. Cara Creek Eco Lodge is a sustainably built eco lodge in the foot hills of the Serra da Estrela Mountains. It is nestled in the country side, where the Seia River meets the Mondego river. It has a private river beach, a swimming creek with a rock jump, a natural swimming pool, a wood fired hot tub, an outdoor gym and a beautiful yoga deck built right on the river.
Surrounding the property are more river beaches to explore along the Mondego river where you can swim or paddle board (Paddle boards and equipment provided free of charge). There are also lovely trails that lead to authentic Portuguese villages full with rich tradition and culture, as well as beautiful mountain views. Take a stroll, or use one of the on site mountain bicycles to explore the area.
Built using solely natural building materials, Cara Creek Eco Lodge has also used permaculture principles in the process of building and gardening.
They have a variety of eco-accommodations you can choose from to fit your budget for this Yoga Teacher Training. From private eco-pods with private toilet and shower and a river front deck, to pitching your own tent on their private river beach — there is a price package for every one!
Note that as part of their sustainability, all toilets are compost toilets, and showers are heated by either solar or wood burners.
Cara Creek Eco Lodge has an organic garden from which of their vegetables and fruit when in season are used for the meals prepared. They also have a small animal farm providing fresh daily eggs from their free range chickens as well as goat’s milk and cheese.
You can arrive to Cara Creek Eco Lodge by flying to Lisbon or Porto and taking the train From either of these cities there are train connections to book by following link here and arrive to Carregal do Sal. From there, pick up can be arranged with Cara Creek Eco Lodge after you are registered for the course.
~ Program Fees|Deposits|Payment Dates ~
Price varied depending on accommodation chosen
Cara Creek Eco Lodge has a variety of Eco-Pods to choose from — private or shared. They are wooden framed structures with durable canvas, and comfortable beds. Some feature their own private river front deck, and others a transparent star-gazing roof.
We have also added an even more affordable option if you wish to camp, either using one of the tents at Cara Creek Eco Lodge, or bringing your own to pitch.
Single Eco-Pod with private toilet and shower ~ €4,000.
Your very own, individual Eco-pod that has 1 comfortable bed inside, and a private toilet and shower.
Shared Double Eco-Pod with private toilet and shower ~ €3,750.
Shared between two people to one Eco-Pod that has 2 cozy single beds inside.
Shared Triple Eco-Pod with private toilet and shower ~ €3,500.
Shared between three people to one Eco-Pod that has 3 cozy single beds inside.
Camp in one of our tents – shared toilet and shower ~ €3,150.
Use one of our single person tents with air mattress included inside.
Bring your own tent to pitch – shared toilet and shower ~ €2,900.
There is a shared toilet/shower for all staying in tents.
~ Payment and Refund Policy ~
Deposit due at registration form submission: €1,750
- processed to credit card provided on registration form
- **deposit is non-refundable**
Balance of Remaining Fees
- due & payable by May 1, 2019
- processed to credit card on file
- **payment is non-refundable**
* airfare and land transport are NOT included in fees
* all fees include tax
What additional expenses will I incur, not including the program fees?
The additional expenses you may incur will be for airfare and transport.
You will also incur the cost of purchasing your textbooks (printed or ebooks) ~ this is approximately €90.
Why do you request a deposit?
The deposit is required by accepted students who are prepared to commit to the program. Once received, we immediately plan, prepare and incur costs associated with the student, in full anticipation of their attendance.
Refund Policy of Deposit Fees: The Deposit Fees are non-refundable. If a student opts to withdraw from the program at any point after acceptance is issued, the fees will not be refunded.
Visa, MasterCard, Interac E-Transfer, Cash, Bank Transfer (all refunds are issued in the same format they were made)
- FULL REFUNDS of ALL fees will be issued if Off Grid Yoga School cannot move ahead for any reason that is of no fault or not related to the students applying (i.e. minimal attendance etc.).
- In case of a student’s medical emergency any time prior to the start of program, full CREDIT that can be used with Off Grid Yoga School will be issued with official documentation from a Medical Doctor, to be used for future programming.
- In case of a student’s medical emergency at any time during the program, fees credit will be granted, and the student may continue on during an upcoming scheduled program. If you are on a payment plan, payments will be processed accordingly.
- Graduation Certificates will be emailed 10 days post-program, and when all payments have been received.
~ Detailed information on Curriculum & Course Materials ~
Like all Registered Yoga Schools, our 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training program is required to offer a curriculum based on the guidelines issued by Yoga Alliance. Within these guidelines is where prospective students will find differences in how the curriculum is delivered.
Our curriculum has an intense focus in technique training, which is essential for new teachers. In addition, our program offers variety in many areas to ensure authentic Yoga programming.
- Teaching Methodology, Sequencing
- 40+ Asana (Postures)
- Anatomy & Physiology (in relation to Yoga Asana)
- Introductory Workshops in: Yin Yoga and Restorative Yoga
- Yoga Philosophy
- Bhagavad Gita ~ Chapters 1 and 2
- Lifestyle and Ethics of Yoga Teachers
- Assisting and Adjusting
- Styles of Yoga
- History of Yoga
- Practicum Teaching
- Discussion Sessions
- Business of Yoga Workshop
- Program Manual (provided)
- Tote Bag (provided)
- Journal (provided)
- The Miracle of Mindfulness, Thich Nhat Hanh (students will purchase)
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Mukunda Stiles (students will purchase)
- The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga’s Ethical Practices, Deborah Adele (students will purchase)
Pre-Program Homework Requirements
6 weeks prior to your program, we will provide details of homework to be completed. We expect that the average student will take 15~20 hours to complete the items. Homework includes completion of our online Physical Anatomy video and required reading.
Homework is part of your curriculum hours and is mandatory.
If for some unforeseen reason you are unable to complete all items before the start of the program, these will need to be completed post-program and before official certificates are issued.
In order to successfully graduate and be certified as a 200 Hour Yoga Teacher, the following evaluation criteria must be met.
Each student will complete and/or is evaluated on:
- 1 Practicum Teaching Class | Value ~ Pass or Fail
- 1 Final Written Exam | Value ~ 45 Marks (total 45)
- Participation | Value of 20 Marks (total 20) The following are considered: engaging with peers, contributing to discussions, being supportive, having a positive attitude, general participation, punctuality & completion of pre-program homework.
Student must receive a minimum of 32/45 on final written exam, in order to successfully graduate; AND
Student must receive a PASS on the Practicum Teaching Class in order to successfully graduate; AND
Have completed all pre-program homework in order to successfully graduate.
Yoga Alliance Accreditation
Yoga Alliance Accreditation is not only important to us as a school, but to the graduates of our programs. Yoga Alliance registry marks are globally recognised symbols of standards-based knowledge in the field of teaching Yoga.
We recommend all graduates register with Yoga Alliance, a voluntary body which promotes standards for training and practice, allowing you to increase your credibility as a teacher. By maintaining your Yoga Alliance Accreditation and registration on an annual basis, you may use the RYT or RYS designation following your name and on your marketing materials and website.
Off Grid Yoga School is a registered 200 Hour Yoga School with Yoga Alliance which acknowledges that our programming meets standards for curriculum, and that training is conducted by experienced teachers.
~ 200 Hour Program FAQs ~
Is this the initial training for someone wanting to become a Yoga Teacher?
Yes, this is first program that all prospective teachers attend. There are opportunities for teachers to continue on with advanced programming thereafter.
When you complete our 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training program you will be certified to teach Hatha & Vinyasa Classes. Specific programs such as Yin or Restorative are continuing education programs that you will take after this initial training, if you choose to do so.
What if I am new to Yoga?
Everyone is new to Yoga each and everyday. There is no perfection in Yoga, so everyone is welcome at the level they are at. In the program, we all start from the beginning, together!
When I leave the program, will I be able to teach public classes?
Absolutely! Rest-assured that our program is not just a cookie-cutter program designed to get students in & out the door as quickly as we can. Our focus is you, the student, and the student becoming the teacher. Your teaching will be a direct reflection of our program and our intention is based on providing you with all the tools you need to succeed. We will have failed our students if we have provided them with anything less.
Do I need to be fluent in English?
We welcome students from all backgrounds and ethnicities. Due to the intensity of the program, we require all students be fluent in the English language (reading, writing & speaking).
Is age an issue?
Yoga knows no age and it is never too late or too early to start. All students must be a minimum of 18 Years of age to take the program, but from there on everyone is welcome.
Is this just for people wanting to teach Yoga?
Absolutely not! Anyone wishing to delve deeper into their practice is welcome to join us. The skills and tools we learn in the program can be applied to many aspects of life… Yoga does not just happen on the mat ~ it happens in every moment!
Do I automatically graduate if I attend?
No. In order to successfully graduate from any training program we offer, you must successfully meet the graduation criteria. Unfortunately, it serves no purpose for us to simply pass students who are not ready or able to teach yoga. It is unfair to you, to the public you may teach and to the integrity of our programming.
At the beginning of each program (during Orientation) the criteria will be clearly laid out as to the requirements for successful graduation.
No need to be anxious. All items on each evaluation will be covered in advance and our goal is to ensure you are prepared. Your success is our success!
What is an intensive immersion?
We want to ensure that students are prepared for the intensity of the program. It is hard work and hard play, but most importantly, it is a life changing experience. Your training days are devoted to helping you become the very best Yoga teacher you can be.
Why do I need to purchase my textbooks?
Students come from every corner of the globe. The shipment of textbooks can be a large, logistical challenge. Therefore, we ask students to purchase the items direct; we do not charge students for texts in our fees.
All textbooks are to be purchased in English.
In the rare instance that a student is in an extremely remote geographical area and cannot receive a delivery, we will work with the student to ensure they have everything they need. This will be at a cost of €180.
Please DO NOT purchase any items, until your receive the official notice from our office, 6 weeks prior to the program start date.
Why do I see an “International Fee” on my Credit Card statement?
Some students will see a small charge on their Credit Card.
This charge is directly related to your Credit Card provider. This charge is something which certain providers will issue when you pay for in a foreign currency (a currency other than what your Credit Card is in), or a foreign company processes a charge. Please contact your provider if you have any questions or concerns.
We are not able to ammend this fee, nor do we ask the provider to charge it.
What is the policy on alcohol, smoking and drug use?
We ask that students do their best to refrain from alcohol and drug use during the program. Prescription medication is acceptable, assuming it is not being used recreationally.
Smoking is acceptable, but only in the designated areas.
Are my accommodations, meals and airfare included?
Accommodations and meals are included in the price; however airfare and other means of transport to Cara Creek Eco Lodge are NOT included in the price
Will I need to bring a yoga mat?
It is preferable that you bring your own yoga mat. However Cara Creek Eco Lodge can provide a mat if needed. Please let us know if you will need one. Other props such as blocks, straps, and bolsters will be available to use for the training.
Will coffee / tea / water be available?
Complimentary water, tea, and coffee are available throughout the day.
~ Packing List ~
- comfortable, loose clothing for teacher training sessions (nothing fancy required)
- yoga mat
- any prescription medication you may require
- EpiPen ~ for those who have severe allergies and require one (please ensure you know how to use one & are prepared to in an emergency)
- good walking shoes (running shoes) / sandals / slippers
- travel adapter (for electronics)
- sleeping eye mask
- earplugs (highly suggested)
- alarm clock
- copy of travel insurance (optional ~ if you choose to purchase insurance)
- passport & visa (if required based on your citizenship)
- flashlight & batteries (mandatory ~ you will need this in the evenings)
- book reading light that you can attach to reading materials in the evening
- long sleeve shirts for evenings | short sleeve for day-time
- long & short pants
- swim suit and quick dry towel
- cash (euros) – there is an ATM about 10 minutes away if needed
- water bottle
- thermal cup for tea with tight-fitting lid
- sweatshirt or light coat for mountain fresh evenings
- writing instruments & notepad (please have at least 3 or 4 writing instruments as you are writing each and every day)
- course materials you have ordered
- electronic devices (reminder ~ these are not allowed for use during class sessions)
- energy or protein bars
- Vitamin C, Zinc & Electrolytes (suggested when travelling long distances via air ~ it also helps when alcohol is not consumed during travel, and you stay hydrated along the way)
- ointment or arnica cream for muscle strains and pain
- pain relief medicine (ibuprofen, acetaminophen etc.)
- personal Hygiene products – Cara Creek Eco Lodge will provide natural soaps and shampoos for use during stay.
- detergent for hand washing clothes
~ Have further Questions??? ~
Send us a message!
~ Ready to Register for this life-changing experience??? ~
Please fill out our Registration Form and Pay Deposit via form below
Yoga Teacher Training Registration Deposit – 200 Hour July ’19
This confirms your registration for the 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training with Off Grid Yoga School beginning July 13, 2019.