~ July 2020 ~
21 day Intensive 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
~ Let yourself be nourished and inspired. Rise to the challenge.
Become a Yoga Teacher & Spread the Healing of Yoga ~
~ Dates ~
July 11th – July 31st 2020
~ Unique Benefits of this 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training ~
- We provide you with an immersive Yoga Teacher Training
- During the training you’ll be deeply connected with nature and wildlife in a river valley where the Seia and Mondego rivers join at Cara Creek Eco Lodge
- You’ll have the pleasure of the company of the sweet animals who live at Cara Creek (4 dogs, 2 cats, goats, pigs, and chickens). For animal lovers, this adds something special to the training.
- Every aspect of your training and time at Cara Creek incorporates some portion of the curriculum.
- We exceed the 180 contact hours required by Yoga Alliance because we’re committed to your success as a Yoga Teacher.
- Our maximum student to teacher trainer ratio is 6 students to 1 teacher trainer.
- Our maximum group size is 18 with 3 instructors which maintains that personal relationship between the whole group.
- Unlike many courses, we will never cancel the course due to low number of sign ups
- You will begin practicing teaching yoga within the first days of Teacher Training, so that by the end of the Course you will feel confident in guiding a class.
- Our training evaluation is a Practicum Class. You will first create the class in written format and then teach the class to your peers.
- You’ll write out a second sequence as another part of our training evaluation, leaving the new yoga teacher with 2 prepared classes.
- At the end of the training we have a meeting with individual participants to discuss feedback so you’ll know where your strengths lie and where you can focus on development.
- After your training is complete you will join a large YTT alumni community online on which we share ideas, ask questions, keep in contact etc.
- The Yoga Teachers (2 to 3 depending on class size) are available to answer your questions and address any concerns, throughout your program as well as after graduation.
- You will receive discounts of 10% on retreats and future trainings held at Cara Creek Eco Lodge
~ Summary of Course Content ~
- Yoga Philosophy
- Teaching Methodology
- Anatomy and Functional Movement
- Teaching Practice
- Personal Development
- Personal Practice
- Final assessments
- Upon completion of all elements of the training, the pre-training assignments and successfully passing the written exam and teaching practicums, students will graduate with a Teaching Certificate for 200 Hour and can register as a RYT200 with Yoga Alliance®
~ Training Team ~
All of them have unique backgrounds and insight to offer to students, and will be available at any time throughout the program to answer questions, concerns and provide support.
Follow photo links to read more about each of the training leaders.
~ What’s Included ~
- 200 Hour YTT Program Tuition
- Program manuals, a journal, and a tote bag
- Accommodation (prices vary depending on type)
- 3 meals per day. Tea, coffee, water and snacks such as fruit and nuts will be available throughout the day.
- Facilities that Cara Creek Eco Lodge has to offer include a natural swimming pool, a wood fired hot tub, a library in stone house that stays cool, nature hikes at doorstep, an outdoor gym, use of paddle boards and mountain bikes
~ Schedule for 21 day Yoga Teacher Training ~
- DAY 1 (Saturday – July 11th, 2020) ~ All Students to arrive anytime after lunch (2pm) and no later than 4pm for check-in. We will begin the curriculum that day with a warm welcome and orientation beginning at 5:15pm, dinner at 6:30pm, and a yoga class from 7:45-9pm.
- DAY 2 – DAY 21 ~
- 6:15am – 7:45am ~ Morning Yoga Practice
- 7:45am – 8:30am ~ Mindful (silent) breakfast
- 8:30am – 10:30am ~ Lesson on either holistic topics or asana topics
- 10:30am – 10:45am ~ Break
- 10:45am – 12:30pm ~ Lesson on either holistic topics or asana topics
- 12:30pm – 2:15pm ~ Lunch and afternoon break
- 2:15pm – 4:15pm ~ Lesson on either holistic topics or asana topics
- 4:15pm – 4:30pm ~ Break
- 4:30pm – 6:30pm ~ Lesson on either holistic topics or asana topics
- 6:30pm ~ Dinner
- Evenings after dinner are free
- Notes about schedule:
- Day 7 and Day 14 ~ Days off – meals are served at normal times, but breakfast is not mindful (silent) on these days. Options to sign up for a massage or other holistic practices in area (astrology consult, shamanic journeying, sound bath), or a local cultural tour. These are not included in the price.
- Day 8 and Day 15 ~ Mindful Meals, all meals will be mindful/silent
- Day 21 ~ Schedule just includes Breakfast (not mindful/silent) and Check-Out
~ Admission Requirements ~
To be considered for our 200 Yoga Teacher Training program, you must comply with the following admission requirements:
- 16 years of age or older (under 16 years old must obtain consent from parent). We welcome students past 16 years old of ALL ages.
- have reviewed program details thoroughly
- have completed the online registration
- have an English level that allows for reading, writing and speaking to a level of full comprehension
- must not have a severe medical condition that will hinder a student from participating (persons who have a medical condition that does not interfere with their safety and their participation will always be considered for trainings)
- have some basic, prior experience with Yoga
- be able to refrain from drug and alcohol use during the program
~ Detailed information on Curriculum & Course Materials ~
Like all Registered Yoga Schools, our 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training program is required to offer a curriculum based on the guidelines issued by Yoga Alliance. Within these guidelines is where prospective students will find differences in how the curriculum is delivered.
Our curriculum has an immersive focus in technique training, which is essential for new teachers. In addition, our program offers variety in many areas to ensure authentic Yoga programming.
- Teaching Methodology, Sequencing
- 40+ Asana (Postures)
- Anatomy & Physiology (in relation to Yoga Asana)
- Assisting and Adjusting
- Introductory Workshops in: Yin Yoga and Restorative Yoga
- Yoga Philosophy
- Bhagavad Gita ~ Chapters 1 and 2
- Lifestyle and Ethics of Yoga Teachers
- Styles of Yoga
- History of Yoga
- Practicum Teaching
- Discussion Sessions
- Business of Yoga Workshop
- Program Manual (provided)
- Tote Bag (provided)
- Journal (provided)
- The Miracle of Mindfulness, Thich Nhat Hanh (students will purchase)
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Mukunda Stiles (students will purchase)
- The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga’s Ethical Practices, Deborah Adele (students will purchase)
Pre-Program Homework Requirements
8 weeks prior to your program, we will provide details of homework to be completed. We expect that the average student will take 15~20 hours to complete the items. Homework includes some reading assignments with written reflections, and videos to watch with questions as follow-up to answer and submit.
Homework is part of your curriculum hours and is mandatory.
If for some unforeseen reason you are unable to complete all items before the start of the program, these will need to be completed post-program and before official certificates are issued.
In order to successfully graduate and be certified as a 200 Hour Yoga Teacher, the following evaluation criteria must be met.
Each student will complete and/or is evaluated on:
- 1 Practicum Teaching Class | Value ~ Pass or Fail
- 1 Written Sequence | Value ~ Pass or Fail
- Participation | Value ~ Pass or Fail – Here we consider: engaging with peers, contributing to discussions, being supportive, having a positive attitude, general participation, punctuality & completion of pre-program homework.
Yoga Alliance Accreditation
Yoga Alliance Accreditation is not only important to us as a school, but to the graduates of our programs. Yoga Alliance registry marks are globally recognised symbols of standards-based knowledge in the field of teaching Yoga.
We recommend all graduates register with Yoga Alliance, a voluntary body which promotes standards for training and practice, allowing you to increase your credibility as a teacher. By maintaining your Yoga Alliance Accreditation and registration on an annual basis, you may use the RYT or RYS designation following your name and on your marketing materials and website.
Off Grid Yoga School is a registered 200 Hour Yoga School with Yoga Alliance which acknowledges that our programming meets standards for curriculum, and that training is conducted by experienced teachers.
~ More about the Location of the Training – Cara Creek Eco Lodge ~
Our 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training is held at Cara Creek Eco Lodge in Central Portugal. Cara Creek Eco Lodge is in a valley, completely off-grid, and built from natural materials in the foot hills of the Serra da Estrela Mountains. The accommodations and communal areas of the lodge are simple and natural, comfortable, and rustic. Facilities that have been built and ones nature provides are exceptional and include a natural swimming pool, a wood fired hot tub, a cool library in one of the stone houses, a swimming creek with a rock jump, a private river beach, an outdoor gym, a river front yoga deck, and paddle boards and mountain bikes for use.
The animals who live at Cara Creek Eco Lodge are very much a part of the family. They have 4 dogs (2 small, 2 big), 2 cats, 2 goats, as well as pigs and chickens.
Surrounding the property are more river beaches to explore along the Mondego river where you can swim or paddle board. There are lovely trails by foot or mountain bike that lead to authentic Portuguese village cafes full with rich tradition and culture, as well as beautiful mountain views.
Cara Creek Eco Lodge has a small organic garden from which many of their vegetables and fruit come from. When the ingredients are not available from their own garden, they source from friends growing in the area. They have fresh daily eggs from their free range chickens as well as local goat’s milk and cheese.
The deliciously fresh meals will be sure to leave you nourished for optimal learning.
There are both camping and “glamping” options, and by Summer of 2020 we will have private or shared (2 per room if shared) inside our renovated stone houses for those that prefer to not camp or “glamp”.
You can choose which accommodation you’ll live in during the 21 day training to fit your individual budget.
The only variation in price for the program depends on which accommodation you choose. All of our rooms and “glamping pods” are simply furnished and have beds with very high quality mattresses.
See section below for options and prices, and information on Early Bird Pricing
~ Program Fee Variation based on Accommodation|Deposits|Payment Dates ~
** Early Bird Discount of OVER 30% off on all packages. **
** Early Bird booking runs from NOW until January 1, 2020!! **
How Early Bird Pricing works:
** Register today with non-refundable deposit of €500, and then pay remaining balance before January 1st, 2020**
For July 2020 Yoga Teacher Training we will have available the list below from highest price to lowest price depending on accommodation chosen
#1 ~Private Room in renovated Stone House – Enjoy the comforts of your very own room in a traditional Portuguese stone house. Shared toilet and shower.
**Total with Early Bird discount €4,500**
#2 ~Private Tetra-Pod – your own space. Simple and large pyramid shaped wooden structure with canvas walls and a clear roof for star-gazing. Shared toilet and shower.
**Total with Early Bird discount €4,100**
#3 ~Private Penta-Pod – your own space. Simple but smaller than Tetra-Pod. Wooden structure with canvas walls and roof, double bed, private deck on river. Shared toilet and shower.
**Total with Early Bird discount €3,900**
#4 ~Shared room in renovated stone house (2 persons per room) – Shared room in a traditional Portuguese stone house. 2 twin beds. Shared toilet and shower.
**Total with Early Bird discount €3,700**
#5 ~Shared (2 persons) Tetra-Pod – simple and large pyramid shaped wooden structure with canvas walls and a clear roof for star-gazing. Furnished with 2 single beds. Shared toilet and shower.
**Total with Early Bird discount €3,500**
#6 ~Shared Penta-Pod (ONLY for couples or friends who will share a double bed) – Simple but smaller than Tetra-Pod. Wooden structure with canvas walls and roof, double bed, private deck on river. Shared toilet and shower.
**Total with Early Bird discount €3,300**
#7 ~Bring your own tent to camp in camping area, shared toilet and shower
**Total with Early Bird discount €2,950**
ALL options are shared toilet and showers. Also, as part of our sustainability, all toilets are compost toilets, and showers are heated by either solar or wood burners.
~ 200 Hour Program FAQs ~
Can I speak to a graduate of Off Grid Yoga School to get some questions answered by someone who has gone through the training?
YES! Our graduates have mostly all expressed interest in sharing their experience with prospective students. Just ask, and we will put you in contact
Is this the initial training for someone wanting to become a Yoga Teacher?
Yes, this is first program that all prospective teachers attend. There are opportunities for teachers to continue on with advanced programming thereafter.
When you complete our 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training program you will be certified to teach Hatha & Vinyasa Classes. Specific programs such as Yin or Restorative are continuing education programs that you will take after this initial training, if you choose to do so.
What if I am new to Yoga?
Everyone is new to Yoga each and everyday. There is no perfection in Yoga, so everyone is welcome at the level they are at. In the program, we all start from the beginning, together!
When I leave the program, will I be able to teach public classes?
Absolutely! Rest-assured that our program is not just a cookie-cutter program designed to get students in & out the door as quickly as we can. Our focus is you, the student, and the student becoming the teacher. Your teaching will be a direct reflection of our program and our intention is based on providing you with all the tools you need to succeed. We will have failed our students if we have provided them with anything less.
Do I need to be fluent in English?
We welcome students from all backgrounds and ethnicities. Due to the intensity of the program, we require all students be fluent in the English language (reading, writing & speaking).
Is age an issue?
Yoga knows no age and it is never too late or too early to start. All students must be a minimum of 16 Years of age to take the program, but from there on everyone is welcome. If below 18 years old, you must have signed consent from a parent.
Is this just for people wanting to teach Yoga?
Absolutely not! Anyone wishing to delve deeper into their practice is welcome to join us. The skills and tools we learn in the program can be applied to many aspects of life… Yoga does not just happen on the mat ~ it happens in every moment!
Do I automatically graduate if I attend?
No. In order to successfully graduate from any training program we offer, you must successfully meet the graduation criteria. Unfortunately, it serves no purpose for us to simply pass students who are not ready or able to teach yoga. It is unfair to you, to the public you may teach and to the integrity of our programming.
At the beginning of each program (during Orientation) the criteria will be clearly laid out as to the requirements for successful graduation.
No need to be anxious. All items on each evaluation will be covered in advance and our goal is to ensure you are prepared. Your success is our success!
What is meant by immersive Yoga Teacher Training?
We want to ensure that students are prepared to fully immerse themselves into living and breathing yoga for the 3 weeks. The program is hard work and hard play, but most importantly, it is a life changing experience. Your training days are devoted to helping you become the very best Yoga teacher you can be.
Why do I need to purchase my textbooks?
Students come from every corner of the globe. The shipment of textbooks can be a large, logistical challenge. Therefore, we ask students to purchase the items direct; we do not charge students for texts in our fees.
All textbooks are to be purchased in English.
Why might I see an “International Fee” on my Credit Card or Bank statement when deposit and fees are transferred?
Some students will see a small charge on their Credit Card or bank statement when they make the transfer of fees.
This charge is directly related to your Credit Card or Bank provider. This charge is something which certain providers will issue when you pay for in a foreign currency (a currency other than what your Credit Card is in), or a foreign company processes a charge. Please contact your provider if you have any questions or concerns.
We are not able to ammend this fee, nor do we ask the provider to charge it.
We prefer TransferWise to make final payment to decrease currency exchange fees etc.
What is the policy on alcohol, smoking and drug use?
We ask that students do their best to refrain from drug use during the program. Prescription medication is acceptable, assuming it is not being used recreationally. Smoking is acceptable, but only in the designated areas at Cara Creek Eco Lodge. If people wish, a glass of wine or beer with dinner or during evenings is also acceptable.
Are my accommodations, meals and airfare included?
Accommodations and meals are included in the price; however airfare and other means of transport to Cara Creek Eco Lodge are NOT included in the price.
Will I need to bring a yoga mat?
It is preferable that you bring your own yoga mat. However Cara Creek Eco Lodge can provide a mat if needed. Please let us know if you will need one. Other props such as blocks, straps, and bolsters will be available to use for the training.
Will coffee / tea / water be available?
Complimentary water, tea, and coffee, snacks are available throughout the day.
~ Packing List ~
- comfortable, loose clothing for teacher training sessions (nothing fancy required)
- yoga mat (optional)
- any prescription medication you may require
- EpiPen ~ for those who have severe allergies and require one (please ensure you know how to use one & are prepared to in an emergency)
- good walking shoes / sandals / slippers
- travel adapter to fit European plugs
- sleeping eye mask
- earplugs (highly suggested – as people sometimes find nature sounds more disturbing than you would expect)
- head torch / head light highly recommended for reading in tents, glamping pods, walking around after dark
- flashlight & batteries (mandatory ~ you will need this in the evenings after dark)
- bug repellent
- alarm clock
- copy of travel insurance (optional ~ if you choose to purchase insurance)
- passport & visa (if required based on your citizenship)
- long sleeve shirts for evenings | short sleeve shirts/tanks for day-time
- long & short pants
- swim suit and quick dry towel for swimming pool
- cash (euros) – there is an ATM about 10 minutes away if needed
- reusable water bottle
- thermal cup for tea with tight-fitting lid
- sweatshirt or light coat for mountain fresh evenings
- writing instruments & notepad (please have at least 3 or 4 writing instruments as you are writing each and every day)
- course text books ordered ahead of time
- electronic devices (gentle reminder ~ to be respectful of how they are used in communal areas and during lesson sessions)
- energy or protein bar snacks
- Vitamin C, Zinc & Electrolytes (suggested when travelling long distances via air ~ it also helps when alcohol is not consumed during travel, and you stay hydrated along the way)
- ointment or arnica cream for muscle strains and pain
- personal Hygiene products – Cara Creek Eco Lodge will provide natural soaps and shampoos for use during stay.
- detergent for hand washing small items in rive
~ Arriving to Cara Creek Eco Lodge for your training ~
If coming from outside Portugal, you can arrive by plane to either Porto Airport or Lisbon Airport.
By car: Enter in google maps “Cara Creek Eco Lodge” and it provides directions right to our parking area.
By Train: We provide free pick ups from Carregal do Sal station. To book your train follow link to www.cp.pt for timetables, prices, and to book ahead. From Porto, choose starting point of either Sao Bento Station (nearer to downtown) or Campanhia Station (nearer to airport). From Lisbon, choose starting point of either Santa Apolonia (nearer to downtown) or Oriente Station (nearer to airport). Destination is Carregal do Sal.
For past trainings, we have had people arrive some days early to Cara Creek Eco Lodge due to flight times which also gives them some time to settle in. If this is of interest to you, please contact us directly for availability and pricing.
~ Payment and Refund Policy ~
Deposit due at registration: €500
- **deposit is non-refundable**
- Processed through Cara Creek Eco Lodge website or TransferWise
Balance of Remaining Fee
- For Early Bird Discount balance is due by January 1st, 2020
- processed via TransferWise
- **payment is non-refundable**
* airfare and land transport are NOT included in fees
* all fees include tax
What additional expenses will I incur, not including the program fees?
The additional expenses you may incur will be for airfare and transport.
You will also incur the cost of purchasing your textbooks (printed or ebooks) ~ this is approximately €90.
Massage or other treatments are available and range from €30 – €50.
Why do you request a deposit?
The deposit is required by accepted students who are prepared to commit to the program. Once received, we immediately plan, prepare and incur costs associated with the student, in full anticipation of their attendance.
Refund Policy of Deposit Fees: The Deposit Fees are non-refundable. If a student opts to withdraw from the program at any point after acceptance is issued, the fees will not be refunded.
- FULL REFUNDS of ALL fees will be issued if for some unforeseen reason Off Grid Yoga School cannot move ahead that is of no fault or not related to the student
- In case of a student’s medical emergency any time prior to the start of program, full CREDIT that can be used with Off Grid Yoga School will be issued with official documentation from a Medical Doctor, to be used for future programming.
- In case of a student’s medical emergency at any time during the program, fees credit will be granted, and the student may continue on during an upcoming scheduled program.
- Payment plans are an option and can be discussed directly with Ashley
- Graduation Certificates will be emailed 2 weeks post-program, as long as all pre-work has been submitted and payments have been received.
~ Have further Questions??? ~
Send a message!
~ Ready to Register for this life-changing experience??? ~
Please fill out our Registration Form and Pay Deposit via booking page on Cara Creek Eco Lodge OR TransferWise (contact directly for these details)